As more and more of the bands we support are signing up to labels and other agreements, we thought our top "signing tips" would be helpful; so that like Gallows you guys get to keep your sound and your "paymasters" don't tie your music down by telling you what to play - "the great rock n roll swindle" (HERE) *
Here's how to get the best deal.
1. Critically, remember that they want you. That means that you have power.
2. Also - you make the music and only you can do that. Anyone can write and offer a contract.
3. So ... Build up your image to negotiate: firm and friendly - always shake hands and give good eye contact . Strength comes with courtesy.
4. Read what is written down. Make people wait while you read.
5. Anything you don't understand, ask. Ask until you understand.
6. Anything you don't like, say no.
Do this nicely without prejudicing anyone's position - eg " I / we appreciate your position but our priority is [ ], so please can we look for a way round this" or " please can we chat about what this is doing for you as we are not comfortable"
7. If you reach an impasse SMIILE but say nothing.
8. Silence is power - do NOT be the person to fill a silence - just keep smiling. Zone out into a riff you like but keep it zipped.
9. Silence is normally followed by a compromise from the person who breaks it.
10. Don't burn your bridges: if something's not going well suggest a break followed by reconvening. This could be for a cigarette break or a meal.
11. Do your maths. Dull, dull, dull yes but do it anyway. Whatever you're offered, ask for better. But do it with a smile.
12. If you're being asked to sign something technical or that you don't like and you're stuck, tweet us. We'll send you a number back that you can call. - We've got people who have done this kind of thing. - Rose has even had clandestine calls from guys in the loos wanting to talk while the dealmakers chew their cud around a deal in the 'board room'. We'd rather chat with you whatever time it is than have a musicians creativity screwed to the ground or suffocated for the sake of £££.
Follow these tips and don't be swindled.
More on Gallows HERE
More by Rose Paul HERE
* Acknowledgement the Guardian.
Here is: 'London Is The Reason' from Gallow's second album: 'Grey Britain'